Carpal Tunnel Injection
|Carpal Tunnel Injection|
|Indication||Carpal Tunnel Syndrome|
The flexor retinaculum attaches to four areas. Namely the pisoform, the scaphoid, the hook of the hamate, and the trapezium. The proximal edge lies at the distal wrist crease. The median nerve normally lies under the palmaris longus tendon (if present) at the mid wrist, and is medial to the flexor carpi radialis (FCR) tendon. The FCU attaches to the pisiform. The distal wrist crease crosses the pisiform
Indications and Efficacy
- Injection for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
The clinician has the choice between various therapeutic agents and/or methods including corticosteroid, dextrose, PRP, low volume, and high volume with hydrodissection.
- Position:Hand palm up
- Needle entry site options
- Identify the point midway along the proximal wrist crease, between the FCR and median nerve.
- Insert the needle then angle proximal to distal at a 45 degree angle.
- Slide distally until it is under the midpoint of the retinaculum (feel it puncture the retinaculum)
- Reposition medially if hit nerve
- Inject as a bolus
- Have patient open and close hand to spread the injectate around the carpal tunnel.
Mild exacerbation of symptoms immediately or in the hours following injection. Soft tissue atrophy. Ulnar artery injury. Median nerve injury.
Rest for one week. Use a night splint. Repeat injections can be done.
- Wu et al.. Randomized double-blinded clinical trial of 5% dextrose versus triamcinolone injection for carpal tunnel syndrome patients. Annals of neurology 2018. 84:601-610. PMID: 30187524. DOI.
- Tsung-Ying Li, Si-Ru Chen, Yu-Ping Shen, Chih-Ya Chang, Yu-Chi Su, Liang-Cheng Chen, Yung-Tsan Wu, Long-term outcome after perineural injection with 5% dextrose for carpal tunnel syndrome: a retrospective follow-up study, Rheumatology, , keaa361, https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/keaa361
- Wang JC, Hsu PC, Wang KA, Chang KV. Ultrasound-Guided Triamcinolone Acetonide Hydrodissection for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Front Med (Lausanne). 2021 Sep 13;8:742724. doi: 10.3389/fmed.2021.742724. PMID: 34589506; PMCID: PMC8475784.
- Lam et al. Commentary: Ultrasound-Guided Triamcinolone Acetonide Hydrodissection for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: A Randomized Controlled Trial. 13 January 2022. Frontiers in Medicine. DOI
- Reviews from the last 7 years: review articles, free review articles, systematic reviews, meta-analyses, NCBI Bookshelf
- Articles from all years: PubMed search, Google Scholar search.
- TRIP Database: clinical publications about evidence-based medicine.
- Other Wikis: Radiopaedia, Wikipedia Search, Wikipedia I Feel Lucky, Orthobullets,